Indianapolis 500 – Indianapolis Motor Speedway
IZOD IndyCar Series
CARB DAY NOTES/QUOTES — Friday, May 24, 2013
RAHAL AND JAKES ARE READY TO COMPETE IN THE 97TH RUNNING OF THE INDIANAPOLIS 500 AFTER STRONG CARB DAY RUNS
1) Simon Pagenaud 225.827 mph / 39.8536 41 laps
7) James Jakes 224.622 mph / 40.0674 39 laps
23) Graham Rahal 223.307 mph / 40.3033 35 laps
GRAHAM RAHAL, No. 15 Midas / Big O Tires Dallara/Honda/Firestone: “The Midas / Big O Tires car feels pretty good. I’m pleased with where we’re at – handling wise. In traffic, it felt pretty comfortable. We will keep working at it. I don’t think we’re far off at all. Now it’s just a matter of going racing in the biggest race of the year.”
- FAST FACTS: Will be his sixth Indy 500 and he will start 26th in 2013. He ran in the top-five in four of his five previous races here. In 2008, with Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing, he was the highest Indy 500 starter of the Champ Car transitioning teams with his 13th place qualifying effort but made contact on L36 after driving high to avoid the slower car of Lloyd and retired in 33rd place. He qualified fourth for NHLR in the 2009 Indy 500 but made contact on L56 while fifth and retired in 31st. In 2010, he competed for his father’s team – RLL – for the first time in an Indy car. He qualified seventh and ran as high as second but a blocking penalty on L188/200 dropped him from third to a 12th place finish. He qualified 29th with Service Central Chip Ganassi Racing in 2011 and earned his best finish at Indy to date of third place after he led six laps. In 2012, he qualified 12th, ran as high as third and finished 13th for SCCGR… This is Rahal’s first full season at RLL, sixth in the IZOD IndyCar Series and seventh in a top open wheel racing series (CCWS 2007)… His best finish this season is second place in Long Beach and best start is 11th — also in Long Beach… He is 14th in the series point standings with 74.
JAMES JAKES, No. 16 Acorn Stairlifts Dallara/Honda/Firestone: “We’ve got a great car. The Acorn Stairlifts car has been good all through the latter part of the testing week here and we’re excited about the race. I’d be happy to go out and race right now to be honest. We’ll see what happens on race day. The Honda guys have been back in the shop last week working very hard. We’ve worked hard since we got here and now there are no more setup changes needed. We knew that going in. We may make a slight adjustment here and there but nothing big.”
- FAST FACTS: Will be his second race here and he will start 20th in 2013. He qualified 17th and finished 15th in 2012. In 2011, he attempted to qualify but the car was not fast enough. Both events were with Dale Coyne Racing… Jakes is competing in his third season in the IndyCar Series and first with RLL. In 31 Indy car starts with Dale Coyne Racing from 2011 – 2012, his best finish was eighth at Toronto and series-best start of eighth was at Motegi… His best start to date this season is 11th at Barber and best finish is 12th at Long Beach although he had the potential to finish higher in each race… Is ranked 22nd in series standings with 53 points.
RAHAL LETTERMAN LANIGAN RACING AT INDY … The team’s highest start and finish in the event came in 2004 when Buddy Rice won from pole. In addition, the team has earned a total of four podiums (2nd – Meira 2005; 3rd – Rahal 1994, 1995). The team was in contention to win the race as recent as 2011 when Bertrand Baguette led laps 139 – 140 and laps 189 – 197 of the 200 lap race. Had a caution come our before Baguette was forced to pit for a splash of fuel, he might have been the victor. The race ultimately ended under caution when JR Hildebrand crashed on the front straight while in the lead on the final lap… The 2013 race will mark the 16th year for the team in the event. Prior to 2013, the team prepared a total of 28 entries for drivers such as Bobby Rahal (1992 – 1995), Mike Groff (1994), Raul Boesel (1995), Jimmy Vasser (2002 – 2003), Kenny Brack (2003, 2005), Buddy Rice (2004, 2006; DNC 2005 due to practice crash), Vitor Meira (2004, 2005), Roger Yasukawa (2004), Danica Patrick (2005, 2006), Jeff Simmons (2006, 2007), Scott Sharp (2007), Ryan Hunter-Reay (2008), Oriol Servia (2009), Graham Rahal (2010), Bertrand Baguette (2011), Jay Howard (2011), Takuma Sato (2012) and Michel Jourdain (2012). The No. 15 Midas / Big O Tires entry for Graham Rahal and the No. 16 Acorn Stairlifts entry for James Jakes will bring that total to 30 in 2013.
NEXT UP: The 97th Indianapolis 500 race will be Sunday, May 26 and will be televised by ABC at 12 a.m. (ET) and broadcast by the IMS Radio Network on Sirius XM (XM 94 and Sirius 212). Timing and Scoring information is available for all sessions from www.indycar.com.
PHOTO AND VIDEO AVAILABLE: Media members who register on the IndyCar Series media site have access to photography as well as video. Register for access to photos at: http://www.indycarmedia.com/pages/ApplyforAccess